Reaching for greatness

Three Blake wrestlers are state ranked.

Steven Castellana, Sports Editor

Building a bigger and better program takes patience, compassion and guidance. It all starts with the head coach, Matthew Reyes who is also a math teacher at Blake. He works full time to make his team constantly better. With athletes like Angel Morales and Egan Atkins as the team leaders, they help make the teammates around them the best they can be on and off the mat. This year the team has three state ranked wrestlers, and Coach Reyes is having a very promising season at Blake. Each year the team grows in strength and a bond between these wrestlers is a once in a lifetime experience.

“Wrestling has opened up many opportunities for me and it has changed my life around, also it created a sense of brotherhood on the team,” said sophomore Angel Morales.

With the many weight classes that Blake has, they just continue to win. The experience and growth this program has continues to grow and exceed expectations. This year Coach Reyes managed to produce three state ranked wrestlers in Dennis Glardor, Angel Morales, and Egan Atkins. These three leaders on and off the mat lead by example in the way they practice and they way they behave in the classroom.

Soon the Yellow Jacket wrestling team will compete in counties on February 5 and hope to keep dominating the competition and move onto districts.