The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

The Benefits of Music on Your Mental Health

Music is a huge part of people’s lives these days, especially teenagers. Popular artists like Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Lana del Rey, Olivia Rodrigo, as well as many others are topping charts and gaining listeners every day. As a teenager myself I can speak on this. I listen to music all the time and, although this is not the case for all people, it helps me focus when doing work. It also distracts me from things I do not want to focus on as well as drowning out other people’s voices. Music also has other benefits, and it connects to our mental health.  

Music is also used to improve your mood and decrease anxiety. Very upbeat and loud songs can make you happy just like when people make a funny joke, and you laugh at it. On the other hand, we have sad songs that can bring down your mood and put you in a different mindset than happy songs do. According to a survey done in October 2020 by Harvard Health, music listeners had higher scores for mental well-being and less anxiety and depression than some other people.  

There is even such thing as music therapy which is used to enhance a person’s overall mood and well-being. It can aid in the development of constructive and positive coping skills. It can help patients recover from negative events and experiences like people suffering from PTSD (post-traumatic stress syndrome). 

It is also said that music can enhance intelligence and even your self-esteem and confidence levels. It can aid insomnia and induce deeper sleep. Many people describe music as an “escape.” People use music to express themselves in different ways as well. It is used to relax and even express your anger or negative emotions you have.  

So next time you listen to music, think about how it affects your life and your emotions as well as your well-being. Think back to a time when the music you listened to made you happy, helped you relax, or even helped you dispel your anger.