The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake VS Alonso 9/1/23

On 9/1/23 Blake lost their second game to Alonso high school 24 to 37, Blake put up a good fight but fatigued in the second half and Alonso was reinvigorated after losing the first. Off the bat the Yellow Jackets were mostly dominant keeping Alonso from scoring big and themselves racking up a decent score as well, especially a great 40y pass thrown by Xavier Irizarry to Brandon House. Another great play was Juju Collins’ touchdown, caught after the ball was tipped by a defender while he caught for a touchdown. All and all this game was full of epic moments worthy of a summary.

Like games past Blakes defense dug deep on the opening drive and stopped Alonso around their 45-yard line forcing them to punt, but the Yellow Jackets defense didn’t let that happen and blocked the punt sending the ball to the 13-yard line. Blake had possession and excellent field position but unfortunately Alonso stepped up and held them to a field goal bringing the score to 3-0. Blakes defense kept up the heat, fighting Alonso and stopping them from scoring and forcing a 30-yard field goal which was good. The score was now 3-3 and the rest of the quarter was a clash of defenses until the last 1:30 when Xavier Irizarry threw a 30-yard touchdown pass to Brandon House, this play brought the score to 10 to 3 wrapping up the first quarter.

2 minutes into the 3rd quarter Alonso has possession and is slowly gaining yardage and get a touchdown. They go for a kick but is blocked by Blakes defense making Alonso settle for 6 points. After this Blake gets the ball and has a productive drive-up field and at Alonso’s 35-yard line Jay downs threw a great ball but was tipped and in spectacular fashion landed in Juju Collins hands, Blake was now 7 points up at 17 to 9. Alonso then gets the ball but doesn’t convert after being stopped by Blakes defense. Blake themselves gets the ball and has another great drive and gets another touchdown after Jay throws another touchdown pass to Leon Haynes who ran it in. The score is now 24 to 9, now with 50 seconds left in the quarter the Alonso quarterback throws an excellent pass for an Alonso touchdown. This play marked the end of the first half. Score 24 to 16 Blake

After halftime both teams were rested and went back to play Blake had possession but failed to convert and Alonso got the ball and slowly went up field in a long 21 play drive bringing the score to 24 to 22, this sums up the third quarter. Fourth quarter Blake has the ball but can’t score as the fake punt falls short. Alonso gets the ball with great field position and convert bringing the score to 24 to 30. After this Blake loses possession and Alonso once again gets up field and converts on a rushing touchdown. With 2 minutes left the game was out of reach and the final score was 24 to 37.

Though a frustrating loss these moments are necessary for the success of any team it gives an opportunity of reflection and a chance to build off of failure and Blake will surely do that.