The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Developments On The Myanmar Civil War

Myanmar is a country on the Malay peninsula of Southeast Asia. It was first colonized by the British in 1825 after the Anglo-Burmese war, and at the time Myanmar was known as Burma. Two more wars would take place in the region, and after the third the entire region was claimed as British territory before they could claim all of the land of Burma. It was originally placed as land of British India, but was split from them in 1937 to quell Burmese nationalist movements. The British were under full rule of Burma until a brief period in WWII where they were interrupted by Japanese occupation. The land was reclaimed from the Japanese in 1945, but Burma would gain independence from the British only 3 years later on January 4th, 1948. This was only one year after India gained independence in 1947.

Burma’s newfound independence immediately sparked the obvious question of what government would be established now that they were free. Unfortunately, this question came with massive ethnic conflicts across the country. Burma is a very ethnically diverse country, recognizing over 100 ethnicities in 1948. Each of these groups had their own ideas of nationalism and pride, which led to various groups with differing and conflicting ideologies and governments in mind, none of which could settle on an agreement.

This would snowball over the next few years into what is now the longest running civil conflict in the world. Across the country, riots, bombings, and violence was commonplace as civil unrest grew. During this time, several periods of warfare and coup d’etats have taken place.  Many governments have been attempted over the past 70 years, including communist placings and relations with China. Notably, the relations with China ended with intense nationalist policies that have heavily discouraged any further foreign relations. During this period, in 1989, Burma’s name was changed to Myanmar as a response to violence by the majority ethnic group of Burmans, mainly to give them less power as the principal ethnic group in the country.

Most recently, a civilian government rose to power in 2011. Under this government, efforts were made to make a more peaceful nation. A new constitution was signed, thousands of political prisoners were released, and political reforms were made. Over the next 10 years, however, the violence continued. Anti-Muslim riots and government insurgency groups grew across the country and continued their onslaught against the people. Nationalist movements were launching a full on war against opposing groupst. The primary concern with the civilian government was that it gave the military too much power, and that it prevented the country from reaching peace and reform. The situation would only continue to escalate.

On February 1st, 2021, a coup d’etat was launched against the current government, and succeeded in overthrowing it. This brought upon violent protests against the coup en masse, and has caused a countrywide civil war between several factions. Protesters have been arming themselves with more powerful weapons, as the new government instituted by the revolutionaries has been using military resources against civilians. The primary method has been through bombings, however military force is being spread through the country on the ground  with raids and skirmishes on protest camps to suppress the people into the coup’s ideology.

Myanmar’s civil war is the longest running civil conflict the world has ever seen. The country has been in a constant state of violence for decades, and countless civilians have been caught in the crossfire. Over the past few years, the number of refugees has risen to hundreds of thousands, and the number of internally displaced people has reached over 1,000,000. Since the coup, estimates of civilians killed are over 11,000. Nationalist movements and efforts to reinstate a peaceful government are still ongoing, and the situation is not looking hopeful for a resolution.