The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake vs Jefferson 10/6/23

In the first quarter Blake had success on the very first drive scoring after taking up most of the quarter (7-0). The rest of the quarter didn’t have a score but Blakes defense kept Jefferson from scoring and also getting multiple sacks.

The second quarter was much more interesting as the Yellow Jackets came out physically, fighting hard for every yard until during a play QB Xavier Irizarry scrambled out of the pocket and threw a quick pass to Juju Collins who ran in for a 48-yard touchdown and wow that was a really impressive run. The score is (14 to 0), Jefferson has a long drive before quickly breaking up field and scoring a touchdown making the score 14 to 6. The Yellow Jackets have another scoring drive when QB Xavier Irizarry keeps the ball and out-paces Jefferson’s defense all the way to the endzone (21 to 6). On the season Blake has had quite a few punt returns and Juju Collins kept that tradition alive making an absolutely incredible run-down field for a definite play of the game contender (28 to 6).

Jefferson isn’t out yet as they come out swinging with a few great runs quickly getting a touchdown and cutting the score down to 12 to 28. And after this they recover a fumble on top of it and after a long set of plays score 18 to 28, this is the last score of the game as the Yellow Jackets stop Jefferson in their tracks.

This was a very exciting game well played on both sides but Blake pulled away the win. We were excited about this win, but the season isn’t over and we are going to be ready and prepared for every game to come!