The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month

For many years, the problems and irregularities in Venezuela (my native country) have increased in an uncontrollable way. This has led the Venezuelan population to emigrate to different countries, such as Argentina, Chile, Spain, etc… In my case it was the United States, in search of the American dream and a better future. It’s been 2 years since my last day in Venezuela and my life has changed so much since then.

Being in a new country that you have never been to before and whose culture is nothing like where you came from makes you have to adapt quickly so as not to feel out of place. Although the great process of adaptation is not easy, it is something that will make you very happy to feel comfortable.

Venezuela is a place with many problems that have to do with its electrical system such as many power outages that cause unforeseen power outages for indefinite times (it can take more than 12 hours and there is no response from the electricity department), something that does not happen here even momentarily and that if the response time passes it is almost immediate. Low salaries in Venezuela are one of the critical points of the country, a purchase of supper in Venezuela costs at least $200 without adding anything. You will invest worse when you see a salary of $5 for the entire population including people who have a prestigious and hard-working diploma gives to understand the bad economic moment and a problem with no way out because when looking for a new job you will continue to earn the same without any change, In the United States, when you feel that you are earning little in a job you begin to apply and review other places to improve your salary. It’s always easy to find a new job but it won’t be as big problem as it is in Venezuela. A big difference between these two countries is technology. Venezuela has a serious delay in technology. A great example is in education and how laptops, computers, tablets, among many other essential technological devices in today’s education, do not exist in the schools of Venezuela. All the information is in outdated books and each student has to pay at high costs regardless of whether it is a private or public school. This makes the way to teach and receive new knowledge more complicated, to not having more options or sources than those of a book from 20 years ago. In the United States, technology plays an important role in everyone’s day-to-day life regardless of age and activities are always present, the result in exams and grades of students is clearly noticeable with the use of technological devices.

This country has given me and my family many opportunities and experiences that we would never have achieved in our country, and they have helped us so much, to learn a new language and meet many people who have helped us evolve, but it is a completely different country from where we lived, with a very long but entertaining adaptation.