The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

The Debate Over Closing Schools on Storm Days

The debate of whether schools should remain open or close during stormy weather.

The question of whether schools should remain open or close during stormy weather has been a longstanding debate. Advocates argue for the importance of maintaining educational continuity, while opponents highlight safety concerns. This article delves into the reasons both for and against closing schools on storm days, aiming to provide a comprehensive perspective on this contentious issue.

Arguments for Closing Schools:

1. Safety First:
– Closing schools during storms prioritizes the safety of students, teachers, and staff. Adverse weather conditions, such as heavy snowfall or severe storms, can pose risks to commuting individuals.

2. Transportation Challenges:
Stormy weather often leads to transportation disruptions, making it challenging for students and staff to commute safely. Closing schools helps mitigate these challenges and prevents potential accidents.

3. Operational Efficiency:
Storms can disrupt the normal functioning of schools, leading to operational inefficiencies. Power outages, heating failures, and other weather-related issues can hamper the teaching and learning environment.

4. Community Consensus:
Closing schools during storms is often a decision made in consultation with local communities. It reflects a shared understanding of the potential dangers associated with extreme weather conditions.

Arguments Against Closing Schools:

1. Educational Disruption:
Keeping schools open ensures educational continuity. Closing schools frequently disrupts the academic calendar, affecting lesson plans, exams, and overall curriculum progress.

2. Economic Impact:
Closing schools can have economic repercussions for working parents who may need to take unexpected time off or arrange for childcare. This impact is particularly significant for those without flexible work arrangements.

3. Weather Predictability:
– Weather forecasting has become increasingly accurate, allowing for better preparation. Critics argue that schools can stay open if administrators plan ahead and take precautionary measures.

4. Adaptability and Resilience:
– Advocates for keeping schools open contend that it helps students develop adaptability and resilience by learning to navigate challenging situations.

The decision to close or keep schools open during stormy weather involves a delicate balance between ensuring safety and maintaining educational continuity. While safety concerns are paramount, proponents of keeping schools open emphasize the importance of adaptability and minimizing disruptions to the academic calendar. Striking a balance that considers both safety and educational needs is crucial for addressing this complex issuer.

Eduardo Tapia