The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Freshmens First Week at Blake!

Ok, so we can all admit we were a little anxious to start high school. From the influences of books, social media, movies, and especially our elementary and middle school teachers making high school seem like it was a living hell, as incoming freshmen we were frightened and timid. But as a sophomore, high school isn’t all that bad. Yes high school can, but it isn’t the worst it could be. But everyone’s experiences are different, which is why i’ve interviewed some freshman to see what their high school life is like:

As it turns out, lots of freshmen are actually finding it hard adjusting to Blake! We talked to a couple freshmen, the had very different opinions.

“It was hard the first day… ” – Freshman Riley L.

Riley isn’t the only one who thought it was hard on the first day of school.

“I think making new friends is really easy here but finding my way around school is what I was worried about.” – Freshman S.Gonzalez

I’m pretty sure we can all agree we’ve had some impression or stigma of high school when we got here. We thought it would be just like all the Disney and Nickelodeon shows. Dancing on tables, driving big cars to the nearest Mcdonalds, and the school bullies shoving innocent people in lockers. But surprisingly, the freshman thought otherwise.

“This is exactly like High School Musical! Especially with what happened last Friday. They had this whole band and people were dancing. I was like “Oh my gosh this is so High School Musical” -Raleigh L.  

Here’s another response.

“I think it’s more of a see it for yourself kind of situation but in the E building or magnet side of things it’s definitely like High School Musical.” -S.Gonzalez

It looks like most freshmen that came here are actually magnet students! As well all know, from art to theater to creative writing to dancing, Blake has numerous and amazing majors to choose from so it wouldn’t be surprising that the freshmen would be in them.

“Band is actually pretty fun even though it’s hard work and stuff like marching, but it’s exciting when you get to know your music and progress and know your dance moves.” -Fatima C.

And also,

“I’m in an orchestra and I enjoy it a lot! The people are very sweet.” -S Gonzalez.

“I’m in the theater and pretty lit right now! We did a bunch of performances and stuff already.” -Raleigh L.

We all have dreams and goals that we’d want to accomplish whether they are getting straight A’s, joining a sport and/or club, or auditioning for a role in a play! Even if the goals you want to accomplish are realistic or not, you should still strive to achieve them and not give up no matter what! Since the freshmen are just now starting high school, I bet they have a numerous amount of goals they want to achieve. For example

“I want to get honor because in middle school, I couldn’t ever get an honor roll, so I most definitely want to get it in here.” -Fatima C.

“I at least want to get into the chamber orchestra.” -S Gonzalez.

“I was thinking about running for something, but if not, I want to audition for Mean Girls.” -Raleigh L.

Freshmen seem enthusiastic about starting high school, maybe throughout the year they will have some hurdles that will temporarily try to knock them off course. But the important thing is that they jump over those hurdles and keep on moving forward.