Split Review

Split+Review

Steven Castellana, Staff Writer

Split is one of the best pieces of work by M. Night Shyamalan to touch the silver screen in a while. This modern day Horror/Thriller did very well in the box office making 102.6 million dollars overall. Produced by the well-known Blumhouse Productions and Blinding Edge Pictures; this film gained a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes.

In the lead role was James McAvoy, known for other roles such as Professor X in the X-men movies and being in Narnia: The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe. McAvoy plays Kevin Wendell Crumb, a man who has Dissociative Identity Disorder. DID is where one person has multiple personalities inside of their body and mind; it is thought to be caused from traumatic life events. The way the disorder is handled in the film is dramatic to some degree (because its a movie) but in other ways in does tell some truths about DID.

In the film, Kevin abducts three girls while they are inside their car, and drugs them as he takes them to a random location that nobody knows the whereabouts of till the very end of the movie. The three girls are teenagers, who attempt multiple times to escape from there “prison”, although they all fail.

We follow the protagonist of the film, Casey Cooke, as her backstory is told to the audience. Little by little we know more and more about the mysterious past of our hero of the film. While learning about DID and the multiple personalities that Kevin has inside of him, Shyamalan creates one of his best films by connecting everything in the film together little by little. By the end of the film, the main characters Casey, and Kevin come full circle in their stories while also leaving room for a continuation of a sequel in the future.

Overall, I give it a 8/10.