The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Thanksgivings worldwide

A look behind the way different parts of the world celebrate thanksgiving.
Thanksgivings worldwide

When we think about thanksgiving, we may associate the average American celebration- which usually means gathering with family and celebrating by eating foods like a whole turkey and many sides, as well as a heavy dessert to finish the day.

But have you ever wondered and ask yourself- do other countries celebrate thanksgiving the same way American’s do, does other countries eat the same foods we do on thanksgiving, do they even celebrate thanksgiving at all? well, it turns out that many countries do actually celebrate thanksgiving, maybe not the same way, but with many different types of food!

Let’s take Japan as an example. Japan celebrates thanksgiving as more of a Labor Day, where most offices take off for work. Its more than just that though. “Thanksgiving” as it is called today, was respected as early as November 678. Back then and up to Meiji Era dating back around 1868 – 1912, this day was celebrated in order to thank the current fall season for the great harvests of rice and the farmers’ hard work. It was called the “Rice Harvest Festival”, locally called “Niiname-sai”, during which the Emperor of Japan offered new crops as thanks to the Shinto deities and tasted the year’s first rice himself- he tastes the first rice before this festival to “bless the rice crop” every year praying for peace and good harvests.

Even though Japan’s thanksgiving has no historical connections at all, they still celebrate with lots of food, they typically don’t eat turkey on the day, the Japanese do still have a common traditional meal of fish, rice, and tea with their close family. Some Japanese-inspired Thanksgiving meal recipes include korokke, miso gravy, and quail yakitori. Other Japanese Thanksgiving food options include “konnyaku”, tofu, and “osechi ryori”-which is like a bento box.

one more country that I found interesting that celebrates thanksgiving was Puerto Rico.  After Puerto Rico became a territory of the United States, its residents eagerly adopted many of the traditions of the holiday. They celebrate it on the same day as north America, but Puerto Ricans have put their own twist on the traditional Thanksgiving Day feast: There is usually turkey—whether a roasted, seasoned “pavochón” or a turkey stuffed with “mofongo (a mashed plantain dish)—but roast pork is also a common item on the menu, accompanied with more “plantains”, and rice and beans.

There is so many countries that celebrate the same holidays as us, such as Christmas, new year’s, and even Valentine’s Day, but that’s not what we are focused on this month- don’t worry we will get there soon.

credits to the following-

Thanksgiving in Japan: Labour Thanksgiving Day | JRailPass

Does Japan Celebrate Thanksgiving?  – Why So Japan

8 Thanksgiving Celebrations Around the World | HISTORY