Big wins at the Thespian Festival

Blake Thespians go to the Florida state Thespian Festival and blow everyone away.

While the rest of the school was relaxing over spring break, Blake’s very own Thespians made their way to the biggest Thespian festival in all of Florida. The festival was a place to bond with the fellow Thespians of Florida and learn from each other. There, the theater program got to show off their skills to schools from all across the state.

The Blake theater program was one of the four schools out of all of Florida to be chosen to perform Urinetown at the festival, a production that was originally written by Greg Kotis. The cast and crew went home with a new accomplishment under their belt, straight superiors, meaning they got the highest rating one could possibly get. This may strike Blake’s Thespians as invincible but even masters of their crafts get a little shaken up. Star of the show Alex Council says, “I was super nervous which is weird because I don’t usually get nervous but I took my nerves and put it into my performance.” Despite the nerves, a judge favorite performance was put on leading Blake straight into success.

Urinetown was not the only show that brought success to Blake. Another show known as Side Show got to be performed at the Straz Center here in downtown Tampa. Blake was one of the 8 schools chosen to get to perform there. This accomplishment can be compared to if the football team won state championships. Stars of the show Emma and Noa Freidman said, “It was incredible to get to perform there, we go there every month….it was surreal.” On top of this all every individual event Blake entered in all received straight superior. 

Student Giulia Falabella was featured on the Straz Center Instagram account.

One can’t be blinded by all these wins. This festival was also about coming together and getting to know your peers and fellow Thespians better. Freshman Pieter Alley says, “I just got to get comfortable  and cozy with people around me and get to know them a little bit more.” This festival may have bee seen as a beginning to freshmen but to the seniors, this was closure. Alex Council said, “It makes me sad to leave… we were all crying it was crazy.” Future Blake Thespians can expect nothing but wins and friendship from this event. 

Freshmen Pieter Alley, Lillie Shelor, Mari Artega, and Keeley Pendergrass enjoying their first Thespian festival!