The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake Vespula

Blake VS Sickles Preseason Game

On Friday 8/18/23 Blake lost a close but exciting preseason game to Sickles High School 31 to 28, this high scoring game kept everyone guessing on the outcome. This game had many outstanding performances like Leon Haynes’s 92-yard punt return touchdown and Deshawn Shaw’s great interception garnering a touchdown. We also can’t forget the great throws made by our quarterbacks Jay Downs, and Xavier Irizarry who threw a 38-yard touchdown pass to Juju Collins. Jay Downs also made a similar pass but was dropped. With a game filled with so much action this is a breakdown of the most important plays.

The first quarter started off with a bang when Leon Haynes ran in his punt return on the first play hopes were high after this and they only got higher. On Blake’s second drive within three plays Leon snuck in another 6 points with a 30-yard rushing touchdown. The quarter went by fast as Blake was up 15-0 with great blocking throughout and Sickles couldn’t seem to score. Things changed in the second quarter as Sickles trudged up field scoring their first touchdown early in the 2nd with the kick good the score stood at 15-7 Blake. Minutes later Sickles scored once again via pass and an extra point to suit it was then 15-15.

The rest of the quarter was a defensive battle with very little offensive movement until late in the 2nd sickles scored on a long drive-up field. With the score at 15-23 Sickles Blake needed a response. That’s when quarterback Xavier Irizarry threw a touchdown pass to Juju Collins with a minute left in the quarter (23-21 Sickles). Sickles now had possession and they drove the ball up field scoring with 19 seconds remaining. With half time both teams got some needed rest and came back out with Sickles having possession and the score was 28-21, again Sickles drove up field looking for another touchdown and got it, but it got turned down from a flag on the play. They kicked a field goal instead making the score 31-21. Blake then gets possession but doesn’t score and the same happens for Sickles. When out of nowhere Blakes Deshawn Shaw picks off a throw made by Sickles and scores a touchdown, Blakes kick is good, and the score is now 31-28 sickles leading 3 minutes left in the third quarter.

The score doesn’t change as a defensive battle takes place. Eventually with 5 minutes left in the 4th Blake has a successful drive into the red zone and they decide to kick with it being 4th down. With the game on the line 4 minutes remaining and unfortunately the field goal is blocked, after this Sickles gains possession but doesn’t convert and Blake gets the ball and after a hard fight up field eventually gets stopped giving the win to Sickles.

Even with the loss the game showed that this could be a very promising team with a bright season ahead.