Meet the new Volleyball and Girl’s Basketball Coach

Blake has recently undergone a lot of changes, especially with the new principal and guidance counselors. Also new to Blake High School is the current volleyball and girl’s basketball head coach; Coach White. Coach White was an only child born to the late Joseph and Ruth White, she was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida where she would attend and graduate from Edward H. White high school as a star athlete. Coach White played volleyball and basketball in high school winning the Best All-around player for both sports and was heavily recruited by many great schools such as FAMU, UCLA, USC, HOWARD, FSU, Atlanta-Clark, and many more. Eventually, she decided to play basketball at FAMU where she would become a 3-year starter.

After graduating college Coach White would go on to lead quite an exciting life, firstly upon graduation, she was commissioned as an Officer in the USN as an Ensign after completing that tour she went on to play professional basketball overseas in Germany and for the Houston Comets. After a successful professional basketball career Coach White headed back to Tallahassee, Florida where she was hired as the Head Girls’ basketball coach at Lincoln High School there the Girls’ Basketball team won their first District championship under her leadership. She was named 6A Coach of the year. Several of her travel basketball teams originated out of Tallahassee and the surrounding areas. She also coached at Burnett Middle School in Tampa, Florida before finally arriving at Blake.

When asked about why she wanted to coach at Blake Coach White stated “I always wanted to coach at Blake High school. I knew the late Coach Davis we were neighbors, and we would share our dreams and one of my dreams was to Coach at Blake. Coach Davis loved Blake, you could see it and feel it when he talked about the Boy’s Basketball team at Blake. I remember telling Coach maybe one day I will be a Head Basketball Coach at Blake and Coach would always have inspiring words of wisdom to never give up on my dream. DREAMS do come TRUE.”. Players on the volleyball team already have high hopes and praise for their new coach. Senior Jayla Williams stated that “I think Coach White is the change we really needed to get us to the playoffs. Fellow Senior Ari Hill also had high praise saying “I really like Coach White I think she’s super encouraging and uplifting she’s cool for real.”. Junior Nevaeh Hargrove possibly had the highest amount of praise saying “Coach White is a great coach and she really bonds with the team very well. She has pushed and motivated us to do better and even though we did badly last year, this year we can do better and win some games.”