Bleeding black and gold at Friday’s pep rally

Band student plays the clarinet during the pep room to a full room of excited members of the Blake community. By: Cydney Socias

Last Friday yellow jackets enjoyed the spirits of another pep rally honoring both the fall and winter sports. Complete with a memorable performance from the Marching Yellow Jackets (MYJ) and the Sting dance team, routines from our cheer team, and fun Student Government Alliance (SGA) sponsored minigames this pep rally had all of the hallmarks of a great event honoring school spirit.

A band student playing the flute at the beginning of the rally, concentration on the piece. By: Cydney Socias

The band members were excited to show off their skills for yet another school event, despite marching season being over. “Performing at the pep rallies is so fun because we get to show off our school spirit,” remarked Tavian Woods, 11.  During this offseason, MYJ has kept busy by preparing for both the Martin Luther King Day parade and the Gasparilla parade.

Student Government came through once again organizing the rally. The mini-games were fun and inspired, bringing students to their feet cheering. “Planning the games is a bit stressful beforehand, but in the moment it’s all worth it because they are so fun,” said SGA member Rosalinda Mendoza, 11. 

Yearbook Editor In Chief, Eva Erhardt, gives a senior their superlative sash with a cheery smile. By: Cydney Socias

Something unique about this pep rally was the presentation of Senior Superlatives. Organized by the journalism department, each winner received a sash donning the title of their superlative. Journalism major Delaney Scott was super happy with the moment, saying “I think it’s really awesome that journalism was able to be a part of something so fun and positive for our seniors.”