K-pop club

Students wanting to continue to grow and thrive into the Korean world of the K-pop club

President Shanice Robertson and Vice President Ashley Smith smile in front of Blake High School

Korean pop, also known as “K-pop”, is a music genre that teens all across the world enjoy. K-pop, which originates from South Korea, has spread through social media and has made it all across the United States making several students love it here at Blake high school. There is even a K-pop club here at Blake that students join every once a month during their 4th period to learn all about the k-pop world. 

The K-pop club originally started because of the love that Shanice Robertson had for K-pop music and dancing to the the music.”I wanted to meet people with the same interests and connect other people together to make more friends” says Shanice, President of the K-pop club. Her love for k-pop started from about two years ago when she was scrolling down on YouTube through random videos and all of a sudden, a k-pop music video popped up in her recommendations,she decided to watch it and from that moment she fell in love with the video and expanded on the artists she listened to. K-pop was a way she can enjoy herself and be herself, “Even though k-pop music is foreign to other people, to me it makes me feel a part of Korean culture” she says.

Ashley Smith, Vice president of the k-pop club also decided to join the k-pop club simply because of the love she had of the Korean culture.”I wanted to be able to share my interests with others, collaborate and experience why others love k-pop just as much as I do.” She has been a fan of K-pop for over a year and a couple of months, what made her to actually start to like it was the fact that Gangnam style had become so popular here in America and was curious to see how a song from another part of the world was able to get so much

President Shanice Robertson and Vice President Ashley Smith, symbolizing the got7 k-pop band.

attention.”I was able to dig deeper and I found myself falling into the big world of k-pop” says Ashley.

A typical meting in the k-pop club would be members learning new dances, Korean words and phrases.”My favorite thing about the meetings would be that I get to talk to other people about the things I like” says Shanice. Ashley also adds how the club is able to bring people together who love other cultures and through that they are able to discuss various things that are happening in Korea; Such as music, fashion trends, food, dramas and their future plans on visiting Korea. The clubs favorite part about their meeting is when they get to do dance choreography’s together as a group which makes it more fun. They hope in the future their club gets to do a dance feature during pep rally’s so everyone in the school can be introduced to what k-pop is all about, they even plan to make shirts showing their k-pop pride and making their own k-pop inspired group music videos as a yearly project.

Korean pop has meaning to their club, It is simply being able to enjoy pop music just in another language, just allowing them to go out and explore and come to the conclusion that the world is just more than the stuff that they are so used too in their culture. k-pop has gave these students the opportunity to research on a culture completely different from theirs, that is why their club has a lot of desire and hopes for the best for their k-pop club.