The student news site of Howard W. Blake High School

New Librarian Enters the Hive

November 8, 2019

Photo Courtesy of Joshua Newhouse

Mr. Newhouse plays the ukulele in the library. This year, he hopes to expand the resources available in the library.

Mr. Newhouse joins us here in “The Hive” after working as a middle school librarian for 14 years. His previous school was Sligh Middle Magnet School. A middle school library is very different than a high school library. One of the differences that Mr. Newhouse noticed was that high school students “Have more drive and self awareness,” he said, “I can have in depth conversations with the students.” He also explained that middle school students treated him like a teacher, someone who made all the rules; where as, high school students treat him like an actual person.

Mr. Newhouse got the opportunity to work for a high school when Ms. Sivard retired and left the school. When Mr. Newhouse heard the news, he wanted the chance to continue her legacy. He wants to continue to make the library a safe place so that students feel welcome. One of his initiatives to promote this environment is getting rid of the guards in front of the library.

This opportunity has expanded his horizons and introduced him to new people. His first impressions of Blake were that the students were unique and he loves the culture of the school, including the traditional kids. He also explained that the staff was very welcoming. “Blake keeps amazing me and will continue to amaze me,” Newhouse said.