So you want to make jewelry?

Learn about one of Blake’s visual arts program, glass and jewelry making.

Abigail Roach, Staff Writer

When one thinks of Fine Arts, typically what comes to mind is painting, drawing, sculpting, or quick sketches, but have you ever heard of doing glass and jewelry making? Blake High school’s fine arts program includes 2D and 3D art. One of the 3D art teachers, Mrs. Lonni Hopkins, was recently able to give some time to Jacket reporters. She discussed the Glass and Jewelry side of the Fine Arts program. “The 3D department is so much fun for the students. They’re basically hands on all the time, except when we learn a new topic. The students usually spend 2 to 3 weeks on a project once they’ve learned the techniques,” Mrs. Hopkins shared.

The Fine Arts program has participated in many activities this year. The students participated in Google Doodle, Hispanic Heritage, Arts for life, and later on this year, Scholastic art and writing, The Maze competition, and Congregational camp. Last year, Mrs. Linda Galgani and Mrs. Hopkins went to Scholastic art and writing with their students and won national. Mrs. Hopkins mentioned that there are 50 new coming freshmen in her Fine Art  program and 13 to 15 majors in her glass and jewelry class this year. The audition process is simple. Kids come in on audition day one at a time and bring 10 pieces of their recent work. It can be still life, pottery, drawings, sculpture, paintings and other forms of art. Mrs. Hopkins advice for a incoming freshmen is to”follow audition rules. Read them carefully and really put meaning to your work. I’ve had some kids audition with some scribble on a paper!”

Christione Hayden, a Blake art major said, “The program pushes you to come up with your own creative ideas. I love it!” The students are dedicated and so are the teachers. “This is a great program to join and I hope (many students) consider it.”